with Animal Protection Voters
Become an APV Member and get actively involved in passing stronger laws for animals at the local, state and federal levels. Your voice for the animals will be amplified by joining together with other like-minded voices. So join us today in building a strong and effective political bloc for animals in New Mexico.
Printable Membership Form | Join Online
Benefits of Membership:
- APV provides you with all the tools you need to lobby and educate others on behalf of animal-friendly legislation. We assist your citizen lobbying efforts with lobbying tips, guidelines and Animal Advocacy Day at the State Legislature.
- APV’s regular member updates (via email and U.S. mail) inform you about local, state and federal legislation to help animals, and gives you the information you need to help get bills passed.
- APV compiles and publishes the voting record of every legislator so you know if your representatives are working for you and the animals. APV's Legislative Scorecard helps our members hold their elected officials accountable for their votes that impact animals' lives.
- APV carefully and thoroughly evaluates candidates for the state legislature and other important races across the state. Our endorsements are sent to members before the elections. Endorsements can only be shared with paying members, so don’t wait until Election Day to join APV!
Join the APV e-mail list to receive the latest updates and action alerts. Subscribe here.
Get involved with the inner workings of New Mexico’s only organization building political capital for animals through the APV Internship Program.
Or be part of the APV Volunteer Program by helping out regularly throughout the year.
A Dozen Things You Can Do To Build Political Capital For Animals:
- Raise awareness about APV and our legislative agenda for animals. Host a gathering of animal-friendly people in your community. Let them know about the bills APV is working on and encourage them to join our organization. APV also hosts community meetings periodically throughout the state, which benefit from local organizers.
- Talk up the issues. Get 100 letters from the public to your state senator, representative and/or the governor on APV issues. Set up letter writing tables in public places or hold letter-writing parties at you home. APV will provide guidelines, background and addresses.
- Assemble your friends for a meeting with your legislators. Ask your senator and representative to support animal protection legislation in general and APV’s priority bills specifically.
- Build a Stronger Coalition. If you belong to a community organization or professional association, get that group to endorse our pro-animal bills. Local businesses are also good allies. Aim to get 5 businesses or community organizations to sign-on in support of one of APV’s legislative efforts. You can find endorsement forms on our state legislation pages or contact us for copies.
- Write letters to the editor. Respond to animal articles in your local paper, especially if they deal with upcoming legislation. If your paper doesn’t cover the issues, write a pro-active letter to the editor on each of APV’s priority bills. When your letters are printed, send us a copy.
- Pledge to call other animal advocates during the state’s legislative session. Ask them to call their legislators on a particular bill or to attend a scheduled hearing at the capitol. Use your own contact list (we can help you identify which legislators represent your friends) or ours.
- Attend APV’s annual Animal Advocacy Day at the Capitol. Bring a friend or two along, or better yet, organize a group from your community to attend.
- Attend hearings on key animal protection bills during the legislative session. APV’s e-alerts will keep you updated on the what, when and where.
- Get involved with your local government. Talk to your city councilors or county commissioners about securing strong laws for animals in your community. You may already know what your community’s needs are, but if you don’t APV can provide guidance. Visit NManimalcontrol.com's local ordinance section for more information.
- Support pro-animal candidates. Volunteer your time to campaign for animal-friendly legislators. APV aims to protect those legislators with humane voting records and to challenge those who cast votes against the animals. APV members (and members only) will be privy to a list of APV endorsed candidates during each election cycle.
- & 12. VOTE! It is important to vote in both the primary and general elections, as some seats are decided in the primaries. Elections can be won or lost on a single vote. Make that vote yours.